Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Pouches....

I am doing a trial run on Christmas presents. I won't tell you which one I decided on in case any of my relatives actually read my blog.


The big daddy, a dopp kit. This was a deceptively simple tutorial that I found on the Purl Bee. A dopp kit and you only have to cut one piece of fabric! Sign me up. Unfortunately, my sewing machine and the fabric I chose for this project did not get along at all. The needle didn't want to go through multiple layers of this fabric, so I had to give it some muscle and manually turn the wheel on the machine, quite forcefully, to get it to go through at some points. That can't be good for my machine.



The tutorial called for bias tape to finish the edges on the interior. I didn't have bias tape, nor did I want to make any so I managed to figure out how to line it myself. I do wonder if the bias tape would have given it more structure. Oh well that's another project for another day. Exterior fabric vintage, thrifted. Interior fabric vintage, thrifted bed sheet.



The next pouch for the day is the handy, dandy pencil case from my Home Ec class. I've already completed one of these before. I'm getting better at the whole zipper thing, but I could use some practice with my zipper foot.



The fabric is the same as above. A matched set. Awwww.



Lastly, but not leastly, a quick and simple project. A card holder. This seriously took me 30 minutes tops and that includes sewing the curved top. I found this tutorial on the Moda Bake Shop. The directions were a little vague (maybe geared towards more experienced sewers?). FYI for anyone attempting this project, the two fabric strips you start with measure 5" x 10".



I need to add some kind of closure device. Probably a snap once I am able to procure one. Both the exterior and interior fabric is thrifted. I've used the red fabric previously in this skirt project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus for Unusual Form