Thursday, November 11, 2010

4 of 30 - Thoughts on Temptation

For me, the temptation is not really in the mall, at the Gap, or even in those Anthropologie emails. I try to make that kind of shopping the exception and not the rule (some who know me might say otherwise, but that's why I'm doing this challenge in the first place). For me the real temptation is thrift stores and other places of that nature. I drove past my Goodwill twice yesterday and both times felt a pull at my heart. I could go in and buy vintage fabric and that wouldn't be explicitly against the rules, but I'm afraid that if I saw the perfect vintage jacket, I wouldn't be able to resist.

Vintage is hard. Each piece is pretty much one of a kind. That sweater at the Gap will probably be there next month (and 50% off at that), but that vintage piece may not be there tomorrow. And that, my friends, is why I'm avoiding all situations in which I might find myself in close proximity to vintage including, but not limited to: thrift stores, yard sales, estate sales, etc. $3.00 here, $5.00 there seems harmless enough, but it does start to add up. Hopefully this challenge will make me more mindful in my thrifting as well. I need to do it thoughtfully and with intention, not just as a passtime.


Outfit 4
Day 4: Teaching (English Gothic), grading and other school related activities.
Printed Top - Banana Republic (via consignment)
Black Legging Jeans - Gap
Yellow Sweater - Loft
Black Flats - Banana Republic
Stud Earrings - Simply Vera Vera Wang
Multi-Chain Necklace - Charlotte Russe
Watch - Skagen
Bracelet - Vintage (Great Aunt's)

2 comments:

  1. Pffft, I know EXACTLY what you mean. I was grinding my teeth as I drove past Value Village yesterday! I'm so excited to be doing this though, and delighted to stumble across new blogs, like yours. I especially like your second outfit...hope the skirt comes out ok, because its stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an adorable outfit. I love yellow and grey. I'm really lamenting not putting any yellow in my remix!

    Love your sense of style.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus for Unusual Form