Thursday, January 27, 2011

Make New Friends, But Keep the Old

Okay, so I was never a Girl Scout, but that doesn't mean I can't learn lessons from their campfire songs. Today's outfit is a combo of new and old (as far as the world of fashion goes). The cardi was purchased the day my parents came to town and the belt and boots are from my lastest thrift expedition (one I didn't blog about). The top however is the one I wore on my first day of teaching, nearly two years ago. The really old is the jewelry. The locket and bracelet both belonged to my Great Aunt, from the 50s perhaps.

I think that a mix of eras and styles make the best outfits (and interior decor for that matter). An outfit that comes entirely from one store, directly off the mannequin, doesn't show an individual's creativity, perhaps only that of the store they purchased it from. The main point you should get from today's lecture, students, is that a creative outfit involves pieces from a variety of sources and time periods. In architecture, a building with a mix of periods and styles is called a pastiche, but in fashion it's called just plain fun.


Outfit 01.27.11

Cardi - J.Crew
Blouse - Banana Republic
Pants - Banana Republic
Belt and Boots - Thrifted
Jewelry - Vintage



Outfit 01.27.11 Detail

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus for Unusual Form