Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Lessons Learned While Thrifting

Thrift Lesson 1: Do not wear a nice outfit and then attempt to buy yet to be priced merchandise, you will end up paying more.

Not that I minded so much. The proceeds of the one thrift store in my hometown do go to job and life skills training for handicapped individuals. I can't really begrudge them a few extra dollars.

I stopped in at the LTS to buy a coat that I had seen a few days early. I was dressed for lunch with my mom, so not super fancy, but nice I guess. (Photo below, you be the judge.) I bought four things, three of which were not priced. I have a feeling that the prices the lady quoted me were a little higher based on what I was wearing and my appearance. I had a coat on top, but I guess she could still tell. Oh well, like I said the money goes to a good cause.


Outfit 01.04.11

Turtleneck - J.Crew
Blouse - Gap
Jeans - James
Necklace - Simple Vera Vera Wang (Kohl's)
Belt and Boots - Grandma'd


Thrift Finds 01.04.11


I guess this marks day 1 of Nothing New in the New Year (NNNY). I've already busted my preliminary budget of $20. Today's four pieces set me back $21.50. I may have to rethink my monthly budget just a bit or stop thrift shopping while wearing nice clothes. I bought two wool coats that went straight to the dry cleaners. One was a vintage Pendleton coat, long, red. It was the reason I had gone back to the store in the first place. The other was long, grey probably 80s. They rang in at $8.00 a piece. I'll do a photo of both once I get them back on Thursday.

The other two pieces are pictured above. The first is a silky, long sleeve dress. It is entire too large, but I'm hoping I can work some of my alteration magic on it. It was on sale for $1.50. The last piece was a blue sweater with a tulip motif, $4.00. All these pieces will be making their outfit debut in the next few weeks, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus for Unusual Form